„Schefferhof“, Bad Bodendorf is a rural property and is characteristic of the buildings to be found in the Ahr area in the 18th century. It is nowadays quite rare to find such a dwelling which is so well conserved. This is illustrated by various elements depicted in the way the house was built, for example the doors, the windows and the structure of the ceiling.
In the cellar, underneath the main building you can admire the cradle-vault made of grauwacke (a sediment rock existing in the region) its clay walls and the mud floor (terre battue) which ensures a constant temperature and degree of humidity, ideal for the storage of wine and food. The pebbled courtyard, laid with stone collected in the region, also characterises local traditions.
„Schefferhof“ is a half-timbered house built as a „Traufenhaus“ (literally a house with eaves). In a „Traufenhaus“, the eaves and the axis of the building are parallel to the road. On the left of the building, a large door gives access to a courtyard leading to the barn and the stables. The entrance to the main building originally was from the courtyard. The barn is parallel to the house, whereas the stables communicate with both buildings. Farm workers were traditionally lodged above the stables. At „Schefferhof“, a 2 metre-high wall, still in existence, opposite the stables, originally closed the courtyard. Today a neighbour’s building lies against this wall. The inner courtyard at „Schefferhof“ is completely closed and extremely pleasant to be in.
„Schefferhof“ owes its name to a certain Franziskus Scheffer, registered as the owner in the first cadastre in 1790. The entire property has been classified as an historical monument.